Amberley Castle

Amberley castle 5.jpg

Amberley Castle was originally built as a manor house by the Bishop Luffa early in the 12th century. The curtain wall was built after Bishop Rede received a license to crenelate from King Richard II in 1377. In 1377 the French had been raiding the south of England and fear of an invasion was great. To help meet this threat King Richard II issued a number of licenses to Crenellate including Amberley and Bodiam.

Amberley castle was a royalist stronghold during the english civil war, when it was besieged and sacked by the parliamentarians and later being slighted by Cromwell.

Amberley Castle slideshow

Visiting Amberley Castle

Sussex Castles web site © Richard Bird 2004 - 2017                                                                                                             Historical Sources and References