Camber Castle

camber castle 1.jpg

The central tower was built in 1512 by Sir Edward Guildeford. The outer walls and bastions were added in 1544. The castle was intended to defend the coast between rye and Winchelsea from the French. However by the end of 16th century, the silting up of local rivers had reduced its military value and the garrison was disbanded in 1637.

This view from the outside shows the D shaped bastions and part of the octagonal curtain wall. The castle was built largely from local sandstone and limestone.



Camber Castle slideshow

Visiting Camber Castle


Sussex Castles web site © Richard Bird 2004 - 2017                                                                                                             Historical Sources and References