Bignor Roman Villa



DSC07767.jpg

Bignor roman villa was discovered in 1811 by George Tupper, a local farmer who was ploughing his fields. On subsequent excavation it was discovered that Bignor was the site of an extensive 3rd century roman villa. The villa courtyard originally enclosed an area of 4½ acres. There are a number of beautifully preserved mosaics, a bath and a hypocaust or underfloor heating system. 

Right is shown a mosaic of two gladiators in combat.








Bignor Roman Villa slideshow

Visiting Bignor Roman Villa

Sussex Castles web site © Richard Bird 2004 - 2017                                                                                                             Historical Sources and References