Bosham

DSC05195.jpg

There is evidence of human activity at Bosham dating to Roman times. The site continued as an important Saxon site. In 670 an Irish monk, Dicul, set up a small monastery in Bosham (Bosanham) with 5 or 6 brothers. At that time the local Saxon population paid little attention to his teachings and Christianity did not gain significant footing until the later with the arrival of Bishop Wilfred.

The Holy Trinity church in Bosham, pictured left, is largely Saxon. The first parts of the church were built in the early 11th Century, during the reign of King Cnut. It is believed that Cnut's eight year old daughter died here and is buried at the Church. 

The manor passed down to Earl Godwine and then to Harold. It is believed Harold dined here and prayed at the church before his fateful voyage to Normandy. After the Battle of Hastings, William of Normandy took the church and manor at Bosham as a royal domain. In the Domesday Book of 1084, Bosham Church was one of the wealthiest churches in England, owning property of over thirteen thousand acres across the country.

There is not firm evidence, but local legend has it that a Saxon leader was burried here after the battle of Hastings, beleived by some to be Harold himself.


Bosham slideshow

Visiting Bosham


Sussex Castles web site © Richard Bird 2004 - 2017                                                                                                             Historical Sources and References